I've built this kit over years of real shoots, weddings, headshots, families, the occasional wildlife session when I get the chance. Everything in here has earned its spot. Here's what I actually carry and why.
Cameras
I never shoot without dual card slots. It's non-negotiable at this point; every image backs up automatically as I shoot, so I'm never sweating a card failure mid-session.
My Canon R5 is my main body. Fast, sharp, and the autofocus finds focus even in tricky light. My Canon 5D Mark IV is still in the bag too. It's older, but the color and detail from that camera hold up, and depending on the shoot, it still sometimes ends up being my first pick over the R5.
Lenses
Which lens comes out depends on what story I'm telling that day, wide and sweeping, close and candid, or tight and detailed.
The Canon RF 28-70mm F2L is my favorite of the bunch. It's heavy, no way around that, but the sharpness even wide open makes up for the weight. My RF 24-105mm F4L is the one I reach for most on an average session, flexible enough that I'm not swapping lenses every five minutes. When I want a dramatic wide shot or need to fit a big group in frame, the RF 16-28mm F2.8 comes out.
I still carry a couple of EF lenses from before I switched to the R5, an EF 28-70mm F2.8L that's held up beautifully with the adapter, and an EF 70-200mm F4L that's light enough to carry all day and perfect for ceremonies or candid moments when I want some distance from my subject. My EF 50mm F1.8 is small, cheap, and still one of my favorites for that classic creamy background look. And when I need real reach, wildlife, or anything far off, I pull out the Sigma 150-600mm F5-6.3.
The EF adapter mount is what makes all of this work together on the R5. No compromises, no issues.
Lighting
Natural light does most of the work for me, but when I need more control, here's what comes out of the bag.
For flash, I've got two Canon 580EX units I've trusted for years, great for bouncing indoors. My Godox V860III is TTL, recycles quickly, and runs on a lithium battery, which makes it genuinely easy to use all day. My newest piece is the Godox V100C, a 100W round-head flash with touch screen controls, 2.4G wireless syncing, and a shutter speed range up to 1/80000s. It's become a favorite fast.
For bigger jobs, I bring five Neewer VISION5 400Ws strobes, strong enough to add real drama on location or overpower harsh sun when I need to.
None of this gear is just a collection sitting in a bag. Every piece earns its place because it lets me focus on the people in front of my camera instead of fighting with equipment. If you're curious how any of this comes together on an actual shoot, or want to know what would work best for yours, ask me. I love talking gear.
No comments:
Post a Comment