Monday, August 25, 2025

Before You Book: What I Want Every Client to Know About Hiring a Photographer

As a professional photographer, I've worked with all kinds of clients: families, couples, small business owners, and event hosts. One thing I've learned is that finding the right photographer can completely change how you feel about the experience, not just the photos.

Whether you're planning a big event, launching a brand, or just want some updated portraits, here's what I want you to know before you hire anyone, including me.

Start with clarity. Before reaching out, it helps to know what you're actually looking for. Is this a wedding, an event, a portrait session, a brand shoot? Do you want formal, posed photos or something more candid and natural? Will you need digital files, prints, or both? Knowing your own goals helps me, or any photographer, figure out if we're a good fit, and it makes the whole process smoother from the start.

Look beyond the pretty photos. A portfolio matters, and you should genuinely love what you see. But look for consistency too. Do the photos tell a story? Does the tone and style match what you're actually drawn to? When you look through my portfolio, I want you to feel something, not just admire pretty images, but picture yourself in those moments.

Ask about the process. Every photographer works differently. With me, you can expect a clear path: a quick phone consultation to talk through your vision; a detailed quote and contract; guidance through prep, styling, and location choices; and, after the session, beautifully edited, high-resolution images delivered through a private gallery. Photography should feel effortless, not overwhelming, and that starts with good communication.

Connection matters more than people think. You're going to spend real time with your photographer, sometimes in vulnerable or emotional moments. That's why personality matters. I want my clients to feel comfortable and fully themselves in front of my camera. That's part of why I always suggest a quick call before booking, not just for logistics, but to make sure we actually vibe. Your comfort shows up in your photos, every time.

Budget matters, but so does experience. I truly understand being mindful of cost. But hiring a professional means more than paying for a few hours of shooting. You're investing in creative direction and real experience, professional gear and editing, backup systems that protect your images, and someone who can guide you through the whole process, start to finish. My goal isn't just to hand you photos. It's to give you peace of mind and a collection of images you'll actually treasure.

Whether you're planning a big celebration or just want to capture your everyday life, I'd be honored to be part of it. If my work speaks to you, let's connect and talk through your vision. Your story is worth telling well.

Erica Cameron
Erica Cameron Photography
Broomfield, CO
www.ericacameronphotography.com


No comments: