Thursday, July 24, 2025

He Wanted to Pay Upfront, But Refused a Phone Call. Red Flag? Absolutely.

Running a photography business takes creativity and professionalism, and every now and then, a bit of detective work. I want to share a recent experience that started as a normal inquiry but raised several red flags fast. Hopefully it helps other photographers and creatives recognize the signs before it costs them.

The initial inquiry

It started with a simple email: "Hello, this is Raymond. I would like to know if you offer family reunion photography?"

I responded professionally, asked for details about the event and how he'd found me, and after some back and forth, he confirmed August 16th worked, gave me an address, and requested five hours of candid and posed shots.

I quoted my rate of $1,750 for the five-hour session, including digital delivery, and outlined my usual process: a signed photography agreement, a 50% non-refundable retainer to hold the date, and a quick phone call to confirm event details. That call isn't optional. It helps me confirm I'm the right fit, prevents miscommunication, and protects both of us.

The pushback begins

Raymond replied: "Ok sounds good, I'm comfortable with the price and I'd like to make full payment upfront to lock the date. Time: 2pm. What's the turnaround time?"

That was my first red flag. Legitimate clients rarely offer full payment upfront before signing anything or even talking. I responded politely and reminded him a brief call was necessary before I could accept payment or send booking documents.

What came next confirmed it: "Sorry I'm just recuperating from hearing surgery, please let's email or text instead."

Medical issues are sensitive, and I genuinely empathize with real health concerns. But when someone refuses a basic business safeguard I've explained clearly, more than once, that's a red flag I can't ignore.

Why this matters

There's a common scam pattern in the creative industries: rush the process, skip communication, and offer payment quickly. Scammers hope you'll be flattered or distracted by the money and move too quickly to think it through. But any real client understands why boundaries exist.

It doesn't matter how eager someone seems or how convincing their story sounds. If they can't respect your process, they're not someone you want to work with.

My takeaway, and yours

This interaction reminded me exactly why my client intake process exists. That phone call requirement isn't a box to check. It's real protection against fraud, miscommunication, or worse.

Fellow creatives, stick to your process. Don't feel pressured to make exceptions, especially for vague explanations or fast money offers. It's okay to say no. Sometimes it's the smartest thing you can do.

You deserve clients who are respectful, communicative, and transparent.

Stay smart. Stay safe.
Erica Cameron, Photographer

No comments: